Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Soph William Bowen reflects on season after team rounds at Cypress and the Preserve


Stanford offers an unrivaled education and the country’s best golf program, so my decision to make the trek west was a simple one. It wasn’t until I arrived at school, however, that I began to appreciate the many other unique opportunities that the program offers. This past weekend presented such an opportunity.

Carved through cliffs overlooking the Pacific, 17 Mile Drive offers some of California’s most scenic views, and Cypress Point manages to transform many of these spectacular views into a golf course. On our recent trip down to Monterey, we were lucky enough to enjoy golf and lunch at the club.

The next day showcased a similarly astounding golf course cut through the forests of a Monterey wildlife preservation. The course, called the Preserve, is a stunning Tom Fazio design amidst the wild turkeys, boars, and mountain lions of the region.

These two courses were components of a great two-day trip down to Monterey that would not have been possible without the generosity of golf team donors. Prior to enrolling in school, I never really understood the extensive support system that comes with playing on the Stanford golf team. I could not ask for better coaches and teammates, and I recognized this as a recruit, but I never imagined the generosity and support I would receive from the Stanford alumni and friends and all those who make Stanford Golf such a special program.

The team is playing great. We have been working very hard and are determined to succeed this postseason. We have been lucky enough to have many people rooting for us along the way and I know that we will not let them down.

Go Card!
  
Wilson Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment